I call this "spring" puttanesca because it uses ramps instead of onions. Ramps, otherwise known as wild leeks, are only available in early spring, and usually just at farmers' markets. Chop about a half inch off of the bottom and top, wash, then saute.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
4 servings whole wheat penne
1 bunch ramps
20 kalamata olives, roughly chopped
1 tbsp capers
2 tsp anchovy paste
1 large tomato, diced
(1) Cook pasta in unsalted water
(2) Mix together olives, capers, and anchovy paste
(3) Saute ramps in 1 tbsp olive oil until wilted
(4) Add tomatoes and olive mixture; saute over medium heat for another 2 minutes
(5) Add pasta and stir to combine
(6) Top with shaved parmigiano-reggiano
Notes: Pasta is cooked in unsalted water because the olives, capers, and anchovies are super salty.